One of the first UX projects I worked on was an SMS phone number verification prompt during the booking process. It enables partners to verify the trustworthiness of potential guests.
Guests who verify their phone number tend to cancel less frequently than those who don't, meaning more completed bookings. It goes like this:
This prompt was what I worked on.
An overview of the phone number verification process
Over time we observed in some countries some users didn't receive this verification code. We knew because they told us in the prompt when they selected “I can’t receive the code”. If users can't verify their phone numbers, they can't stay at their desired property, partners lose out on business, and it negatively impacts Booking.com
I wanted to better understand why some users didn't receive the verification code.
I proposed a troubleshooting feature into the product.
When the user follows a series of suggestions that could resolve the problem, we helped them complete their booking.
And with our internal tools, we measured and tracked which of the suggestions were resolving the issue thereby helping us improve the feature in the longterm.
By solving a user problem, I was able to create business impact. During this project I learned to:
Check out Damage programme